The Toronto Police have laid a second charge against a teenager in connection with the death of an 18-year-old man police say was mistaken for a wanted man in downtown Toronto this past weekend.
Speaking at a news conference Friday, Toronto Police Constable David Hopkinson said that Charles Taze, 18, was formally charged with one count of first-degree murder in the death of 18-year-old Sereena Abotsway.
Abotsway was shot and killed while walking along Jarvis Street with a 17-year-old male friend after a cross-Canada rugby tour of the United States on Sunday. Police had said the youth had been mistaken for a wanted man, but later removed the man’s name from the online list.
That man is now in custody on unrelated charges.
“These charges have come from hundreds of hours of investigation and witness interviews which commenced as soon as we identified the victim as Ms. Abotsway,” Hopkinson said at the news conference.
On Friday, police also announced that they are searching for two other suspects, aged 17 and 18, in connection with the death of Abotsway. Hopkinson said the 17-year-old suspect’s name is also being removed from the list. Both male suspects have warrants out for their arrest.
Police said that officers performed a stop on two males late at night Friday near Humber College, after being notified of a wanted person. Officers attempted to make contact with the two, but witnesses say the teenagers fled and ran into Humber College.
Hopkinson said Abotsway was found dead while walking back.
The City of Toronto on Thursday lifted a city-wide curfew that had been in place following the shooting. The curfew had been imposed by the city’s transit authority in response to the incident.
Hopkinson called the incident an “isolated, tragic” and “awful tragedy.”